Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Pleasantly Surprised in Winston Salem

This weekend Patrick and I drove 13 hours (round trip) down to Winston Salem to one, visit Steve in his new digs, and two, try out wedding dresses. Well, I was the only one trying on wedding dresses, but I guess the idea is that we both benefit. Why go to WS for dresses? www.makingmemories.org -- that's why. Buying their donated dresses benefits the wish fulfillment of people diagnosed with terminal breast cancer. And yes, I did buy one.

But the really fun part was how totally not lame Winston Salem was! For a city named after cigarettes, I figured it would be dated, stinky, and/or bereft of natural beauty. It was, happily, none of those, and really quite lovely. Kind of like Atlanta without the traffic. Or the peaches. Or Coke. (In fact, Patrick had a tough time finding Coca Cola in the state of Pepsi.) But really it was charming.

No comments:

Princess Nijma

Princess Nijma