Wednesday, June 30, 2010

And the truth was revealed

In early May, I traveled to my first writing conference. It was, in a word, phenomenal. I attended sessions, met wonderful writers, and even rubbed elbows with some charming published authors and literary agents. I came away energized and, most importantly, with a sense of mission.

At this conference, to be a bit melodramatic, the scales fell from my eyes. I learned, through the critique of disinterested but kind observers, how much work my writing still needs. I also learned, thanks largely to the effervescent Ann Hood, a little bit about how to approach that work. (If any of you writers out there have a chance to attend a conference session with Ann, particularly on revision, I highly, highly recommend it. If this book I'm working on now ever gets published, it will be in great part due to her lesson on revision.)

I had wondered before how to figure out what wasn't working, how to determine if and where my writing was falling short. Though I'd had feedback from family and friends, I wasn't sure that they could be as honest as I needed. (Truth in publishing though - I think what I most needed from them was support and encouragement, which was amply provided. Thank you!) In two personal sessions and numerous group sessions, I realized how far I have to go.

So that's where I've been. Not on this blog, not on Twitter, but digging deep into my novel. I'm loving the experience, though I can't say I'm not a little appalled at how much work it needs, particularly since I've already passed it around to a number of people (and agents, ack!). Opportunities lost - but lessons learned. So it's back to the grind, now. How have others learned the truth about their writing? How did you take it? I feel like I've found religion, but I suspect, unfortunately, that I have more nasty surprises waiting for me ...

2 comments:

Rowenna said...

So glad you found it to be such a great experience! I had planned to attend a conference this summer, but, alas, am standing in a wedding the same weekend. Perhaps next year, or another conference.

I'm pretty sure my first novel will never be published...and it's visited quite a few agents at this point :) I'm not sure that revision can help it much--just too quiet of a book, I think. I hope you learn a lot and enjoy the process of revision (even though it's difficult, and can feel so liberating to know that you're making it better!).

Carrie Callaghan said...

Thanks! This is the third manuscript I've completed, and I've learned a ton in writing all three. In a way, it's gratifying that writing is hard work - it makes me appreciate the finished product (mine and that of others) all the more!

I do hope you can make it to a writing conference soon. If it's a good one (not all are, I hear), I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. In the meantime, enjoy the wedding!

Princess Nijma

Princess Nijma