Monday, December 21, 2009

Home in the Snow


The beautiful snow is now going to give way to grey slush and treacherous ice, so I thought I'd post a picture to show how lovely it was at first. Or at least how heavy! This is 16th Street, where we live. On a clear day, you'd see the White House at the end of the road.

We walked around on Saturday in the storm and it was amazing how many people still insisted on being out and about driving, including a taxi cab spinning its wheels to no avail, and a Prius that looked destined for disaster.
The best part about the storm, of course, was getting to stay home and read (especially when I got an extra day off today!). I finished Life and Death in Shanghai which was just awesome, really inspiring. I really couldn't say enough good things about it - her brave story will live with me so long as I have mental capacity to hang on to it. This morning, I finished Anita Brookner's Altered States which was probably the most lonely book I've read in ages, if not ever. I'm glad I wasn't alone when I read it or I might have become rather depressed. Now I'm flirting with a few other choices. What a lovely weekend.

Ok, I couldn't resist posting a photo of our cat, Nuublay. So cute!

No comments:

Princess Nijma

Princess Nijma