Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Basement Gem

This week is so busy that I worry I won't be able to even complete half of the things on my to-do list. When life is stressful, it's extra-inspiring to hear about little blips of joy, even if they happen to a stranger. Last night, at an amazing concert, I slipped into the basement of the venue to gulp down some water from the fountain. As I was doing so, I came across a woman on a cell phone. She was practically radiating excitement, her words laced with awe.

"And the first reading is tomorrow!" She told her invisible interlocutor. "But that's the only reading I can make for two weeks, because of the thing at [prominent local performance venue]. Oh, I didn't tell you about that? It's a dream come true! They're paying me $200 to sing in two shows there! They're actually going to pay me!"

I walked away smiling. I was happy for her - she'd apparently just been picked for a play, and on top of that was getting paid to do something she was thrilled about. What a nice thing to find in the basement.

No comments:

Princess Nijma

Princess Nijma