Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Our first snow!

It's snowing! Of course, hardy Wisconsin-ites (and anyone north of the Mason-Dixon line) would scoff at our powdering of white stuff as a mere pre-winter sneeze, but I'm thrilled! It's beautiful. Check out the Post for some pretty pics.

Five years ago, if I remember correctly, we got one of the rare genuine blizzards to hit DC. I was living downtown and marveled at the snow that just kept falling and falling, like huge chunks of glitter left over from an angelic throw-down. The best part was that the snow defeated the local automobile population. For at least one glorious night, the streets belonged to the pedestrians. I walked down my usually taxi-packed street, hiking through snow that reached my calves. Everywhere was white and hardly anyone was evident. Of course, the cars soon re-asserted their dominance, turning the beautiful snow brown, but it was wonderful while it lasted. Quiet, lonely, and fabulous.

No comments:

Princess Nijma

Princess Nijma